International Relations Directorate
We seek to promote and coordinate ambassadorship opportunities and empower students to be competent ambassadors. Furthermore, we aim to provide necessary support for the student population in improving their electives' experience. To facilitate these, we liaise with relevant partners such the Dean's Office and our international medical counterparts.
The Functions of the International Relations Directorate (IRD) are as follows:
- International Relations Leader – We act as the thought leader and key decision-maker in international relations issues pertaining to the Society, and as a role model for students acting as ambassadors of the Society and the school.
- Chief Representative – We represent and advocates for the interests of the student body in international relations matters.
- Administrator – We seek to promote and coordinate ambassadorship opportunities and empower students to be competent ambassadors. Because IRD is a young committee in its third year of office, we are in the process of creating exciting opportunities for the YLLSoM student body in terms of international exposure. This includes bilateral exchanges, hosting of our international medical counterparts and providing information/help for student electives.
- 17-19 Jan 2017 - Exchange: Faculty of Medicine, Indonesia
- May/August 2017 - Bilateral Exchange: NUS - Tzu Chi University, Taiwan
- 23 June 2017 - M3 Electives Sharing Session
- 28-30 July 2017 - Exchange: International Islamic University, Malaysia
- 16 - 20 Aug 2017 - Exchange: Keio University (Inbound)
- 24 Aug 2017 - Exchange: Gachon University
- 4-6 Sep 2017 - Raffles Dialogue
- 13 -17 Sep 2017 - Exchange: Bandung Islamic University
- December 2017 - Exchange: Keio University (Outbound)
As of status quo, we are in the midst of officiating bilateral exchanges for our NUS students to increase their international portfolio. To begin, we will be sending students to Keio University, Japan in December 2017! We regularly liaise with our partners such as the Dean's Office, hospitals and our international medical counterparts to facilitate such efforts.
The programme aims to train students to be Ambassadors of NUS Medicine through a myriad of opportunities, be it hosting our international medical friends locally or representing NUS YLLSoM abroad. Selected students will be equipped with necessary skills such as in communication and publications.
Project Support Services
While we strive towards meeting the student population's expectations to the best of our abilities, we understand that some students may have different expectations of what an exchange should be, be it the range of schools available or the types of activities. This is why we hope to roll out this initiative - a programme to support students in planning for their own exchanges, locally or abroad. Interested students will be mentored and guided by our members and will be provided with the necessary contacts to kickstart your project. Wait no longer - approach us today!
Electives Improvement Program
How do we go about planning our electives? What opportunities are available? How can I go about doing what I want? Are these some of the questions you have regarding electives? If yes, let us help you! This new initiative hope to improve your elective experience through various means - organising a electives briefing for M2s, providing a platform for seniors to recommend their electives, liaising with external partners for new opportunities. Any feedback regarding your experience? Email us and we will work on them.
Look out for us!
We publicise our events and updates through the weekly Newsfeed, through message blasts via class reps and through the NUS MedSoc social media platforms. As of now, we mostly take charge of hosting international students and overseeing student-led exchanges. We are looking into electives sharing sessions for students to share their elective experiences and for pre-clinical students to understand the process better.