The Academic Affairs Directorate comprises like-minded, enthusiastic members who share three common goals in their contributions to the work of the directorate:
- We provide necessary, relevant academic support for the members of the society through various services and platforms, maintained by the collective directorate;
- We look to nurturing a strong sense of mentorship amongst the society by providing opportunities for teaching and sharing;
- We serve as advocates and the voice of the society in academic-related affairs through active feedback and representation at key meetings with the administrators.
As one of three key players in the Education and Training Cluster of the Medical Society, we work towards our vision of an optimal learning environment for all members, which at the same time exemplifies the spirit of mentorship inherent in the long history of Medicine.
The Academic Helpline provides students a convenient portal to clarify their doubts regarding curriculum content, and to share the notes they create with their batchmates or their juniors. The responses are collated and sent out timely to the batch so that everyone learns collectively.
Academic Resources Curation
The directorate maintains a pool of academic resources, including resources shared by members of the society, tutorial resources and useful documents kindly shared by tutors. Members of the society may access their respective folders to facilitate and aid their learning.
Academic Sharing Sessions
Directorate members conduct academic sharing sessions, where we provide useful tips and advice for exam preparation, and important content points which definitely should be remembered, both for examination sake and for future clinical use.
We are looking into working with other existing initiatives to roll out a comprehensive series of teaching initiatives where senior students have the opportunity to mentor their juniors, while at the same time reinforcing their understanding of the topic of interest.
Most of the directorate work are not discrete events but a continuum of academic support services, ranging from timely academic helpline responses to academic sharing sessions. Across the year, students can expect:
Academic Sharing Sessions
- Start of the Year Sharing, where they hear from seniors regarding the textbooks and helpful resources online that they may consider using, and general tips to start off the new academic year;
- Exam Sharing, where they can learn some tips and advice for exam preparation, approaches that they may consider when learning certain topics, and important content knowledge for their exams as well as for clinical purposes
- Clinical Year Sharing, where the M2s hear from their clinical year seniors on how best to optimize their time in the wards, and adapt to clinical year routines..
PROS Teaching Sessions
A dedicated session for the first-years in preparation for their final year, usually conducted by members of the directorate